Saturday, June 5, 2010

Creative mistakes


Today I thought I would share with you a creative mistake I gambled would happen with the old polymer clay I had stored. As your clay sits it tends to get dry and crumbly. The canes I used here were almost unusable. They took me some time to make so I really didn't want to just throw them out. I thought what the heck, I'll see if I can make them work one way or another on an ATC.
First I rolled out my base with newer clay so my pieces would adhere. I sliced my rainbow cane into thin strips and outlined the piece. I added a few cut shapes from another left over piece of cane. Then I thought I would run it through the pasta roller knowing it would probably not make it. Of course it cracked in spots, and became a bit misshapen after the roll through. It still looked to cool to just give up so I poked a hole on each side of the splits, and added some mica powders and then baked. After baking I threaded some wire through the holes by the split parts and twisted so it looks repaired. The last thing I did was add the create stamp with solvent ink in the center. I named this piece... 'Broken Art' It may have been a mistake to many but to me it was an opportunity to stretch boundaries and break from the norm. It was worth the effort, and I enjoyed the journey to it's broken end. Peace!

1 comment:

  1. Lol! I too have some old canes that are just too nice to throw out. Love what you have done with this - if you hadn't explained the process, I would have thought that was what you intended! Have to get out those canes, you've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete